Getting back into sports after an injury can be challenging. The KBF’s new Path2Active Scholarships provide financial support to individuals who want to try a new sport, test out a piece of equipment, or build skills by attending camps, clinics or other adaptive sports programs. If this is you, apply for up to $500 to get you on your Path2Active.
Path2Active Scholarships can be used to:
- Try a new sport at an adaptive sports program, camp, or clinic
- Try a new piece of adaptive sports equipment in a sport you currently participate in by attending a program of your choosing
- Take lessons to gain independence in a sport at an adaptive sports program
- Cover auxiliary costs to travel to and attend an adaptive sports camp, clinic or program
Path2Active scholarship funds cover:
- Direct costs for any of the above eligible programs, including:
- Program, camp, or clinic fees
- Travel (gas/train/air) and lodging (hotel)
- Equipment rentals
- Funds will be distributed directly to the adaptive sports program for program or equipment fees; and/or to individuals for travel and lodging after completion of activity upon review of receipts
- SCI: Individuals with paralysis caused by spinal cord injury who reside in the US
- Any one of the following:
- Individuals who are looking to get active for the first time
- Individuals who want to gain more experience in a specific sport or to try new sports
- Individuals who have equipment but are not yet independent in the sport and want further instruction or supervised experience
- Individuals looking to test different types of equipment before purchasing or applying for a grant
If you need help finding a program/place/club to figure out where to go or the activities you want to participate in check out the Active Project.
Path2Active scholarships cannot be used for:
- Therapy needs
- Competition expenses
- Travel to obtain lessons or test equipment through peers or individuals not affiliated with a formal adaptive sports program/organization
How to apply & What to expect:
See the Scholarship Guidelines for full details.
Start your application using the button below.
In your application, you will be asked to provide:
- Proof of Paralysis (i.e. note from physician)
- Budget – Program fees/quote and or estimated travel expenses
- Financial Documentation (SSI, tax return, or similar)
Fill out the application, submit, and confirm that you’ve received an automated email notification of your submission.
We will review your application and inform you of the decision within 4 weeks.
If approved, funds for program fees will be disbursed directly to the program, and any funds allocated to travel and lodging expenses will reimbursed to the recipient upon providing receipts.
If awarded, please share your experience by:
- Providing pictures/videos we can share with our community from the experience
- Write a brief blog-style review about the experience (at least 1 paragraph)
And, when you’re ready, apply to the Active Fund so you can get out and be active with you’re own equipment